I don’t know about you, but some of the political commercials that are currently being aired are so unjust and ungodly that my knees buckle when I hear them. They are abrasive, arrogant, and all about effect. Truth and “God’s will” are unabashedly being shoved to the side. There is no longer a question. Politics has become uncivil with “arrogant desires, devious and selfish drives” constantly being proposed.
God scolded me this week with my lack of trust in Him. In my daily reading I came across a couple of verses that Christ-followers in America must heed. “Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord” (Psalm 112:6&7). Notice the very first modifier, “Surely”, which can be translated “assuredly, certainly, doubtlessly.” Without reservation, “the righteous will never be shaken.” As Jesus people, we should stand strong, firm, and steady. Why? We are to keep our eyes on our omnipotent, omniscient, loving God living courageously and strong knowing “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). Our faith “will be remembered forever” by those closest to us.
As a result of the courage and truth we obtain from God, when we hear and see false, “bad news” from Fox, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc., we should never forget Who is in control. When lies and ungodliness are heard, we immediately offload things to Jesus requesting His help and courage each moment as we walk through trying times. Psalm 112:7 states it this way, “their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.” Amen!
If you look further at Psalm 112, there are some wonderful proclamations to those who keep their eyes on God during trying time:
- Verses 1&2 exclaim, “Hallelujah! Happy is the person who fears the Lord, taking great delight in his commands. His descendants will be powerful in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.”
- Verse 4 declares, “Light shines in the darkness for the upright. He is gracious, compassionate, and righteous.”
- Verse 8 states, “His heart is assured; he will not fear. In the end he will look in triumph on his foes.”
When you hear ungodliness, immediately get that out of you mind leaning on His Word:
- Trust God in each and everything, “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6&7)
- We are assured by Him. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
Don’t be afraid of false, bad news. Why? God is in control. Arrogant, deceptive, manipulative people may not realize that now, but they will.
One thought on “Not Afraid of Bad News”
Good blog! I thought I was the only one that got riled up by the media. Anyway, it is Romans 8:28 (not Romans 3:28)…..Dennis’s life verse was Romans 8:28. Love y’all. I’m still working (retirement, LOL). We’ll talk soon.