Almost every day, Pam and I deal with couples who are trying to reconcile their relationship or families that are broken. There is such fear in relationships especially in the most important closest ones. Jesus greatly desires for healing and is heart broken over hatred, bitterness, rudeness, and selfishness. In 1 John 4:18, the Bible is clear about God’s love, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”
God’s heart is all about relationships. True Christianity reduced down is simple. When asked what we must do to inherit eternal life, “Jesus answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself’” (Luke 10:27). Then, Jesus “commands” us how we are to love each other, John 13:34, “As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” The word for love here is agape (unselfish, serving love).
H-O-W-E-V-E-R, we may have a problem:
- Many of us are emotionally unhealthy. We have trouble loving others because we are bogged down within ourselves. It could be depression, hyper- anxiety, mood disorders, or fear driven. It is difficult loving others like yourself when you can’t stand yourself.
- You could be envious, bitter towards another. How can you lovingly, sacrificially care about a person when you can’t stand them?
- Others are caught up with themselves. They are so narcissistic that the sun rises and sets on “me”. How do these folks get past their ego and massive insecurities to love others?
The priority for these folks is to get well and/or cleaned up so that they are set free to love others. Do not let today end without crying out to God to guide you to health and freedom.
- Hebrews 12:1&2 challenges us to “rid ourselves of every obstacle and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let’s run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith.” God wants to make you “perfect in love” without fear (1 John 4:18).
- Proverbs 29:25 is straightforward, “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.”
Start T-O-D-A-Y getting this done in your life. Never forget, the Holy Spirit walks with you and the Word of God empowers you throughout the whole process. I strongly suggest you get in a small group (it so worth it!) where others can support you to wholeness.
“There is no fear in love…Perfect love drives out fear.”