“Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me. The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.” (Psalm 138:7&8)
Fleeing his enemies, Robert the Bruce, one of the famous freedom fighters who led the independence of Scotland and ultimately crowned King, sought refuge in a cave. Hot on his trail, his enemies discovered what they thought was his hideout; however, a spider had built a web over the mouth of the cave. Once His pursuers concluded that he could not have entered the cave without first destroying the web, they turned around and went on their way. “Oh God,” Bruce prayed, “I thank You that in the tiny bowels of a spider you can place for me a shelter and then send the spider in time to place it for my protection. God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform.”
Whatever is necessary to protect His children from the anger and venom of others, God will do it. Psalm 138:7 initially states, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life.” God intimately in the details of life looks after His people. Proverbs 3:5&6 attests to this, “Trust in the Lord with all you heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to Him, and he will make your paths straight.”
Do you remember ever shaking hands with an individual who had an iron clad grip? Boy, I do! Afterwards, my self-talk cautioned me to never tangle with him! Did you know the Bible frequently talks about the power and authority of God’s right hand? Psalm 138:7 declares, “You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me.” As His children, we are in His grip of protection especially when experiencing anger and venom from others. With His right hand, He will love and protect you.
- “Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes.” (Psalms 17:7)
- “Your hand will lay hold on all your enemies; your right hand will seize your foes.” (Psalm 21:8)
- The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.
- “I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.” (Psalm 63:8)
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
In the midst of trouble, Psalm 138:8 encourages, “The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.” Rest in His presence and trust Him. God will vindicate, free, deliver, and redeem you.
Life is often a walk “in the midst of trouble.” It seems that we constantly face trials and conflict. To the trusting, confident believer in Christ, there is a solid path to renewal and deliverance. Abide in Him staying in the grip of His mighty, loving right hand.