Jesus in Matthew 6:1-8 tells what is valuable to God and what is not. First, let’s read the passage. “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. 5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. 7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
What is worthless to God?
- Don’t practice your righteousness to be seen! If you ensure that others see what you have done to receive their praises, these accolades will be remembered only briefly by man and have no value to God.
- A couple of examples of this, is the way we give and pray. Don’t “toot your own horn” how much you give. Praying in a manner that brings attention to yourself is rewarded by man only temporarily but not God.
- Don’t be a “hypocrite”! Not being who you say you are or saying one thing and actually doing another grieves God.
- Any shenanigans that we do “spiritually” to build up ourselves are worthless to God.
What things are valuable and are rewarded by God?
- Giving in secrecy is well received and pleasing to God. “When you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”
- When you pray, do it in secrecy not bringing any attention to others. When you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” Do you have a private room and special time to get alone with God?
- Be straight up with God. He despises “heaping up empty phrases.” Don’t try to fool God with superfluous words…total waste of time.
Eternal values are always a heart thing between God and you. Giving God a special time in a private place conversing intimately is why we were created. Giving financially is an act of worship. Please stop tooting you own horn.