My wife and I were in high school through the 80’s and still love a lot of the music from that era. I didn’t become a Christian until I was an adult, so it is interesting to listen to some of the songs I loved back then. There are times when I am singing away and realize that the lyrics are no longer consistent with my current beliefs! We recently found the Ray Parker Jr. station on Pandora that plays a lot of the music we liked from back then. Again, juxtaposing a lot of his songs with Christian beliefs … the just don’t jive! But, I woke up the other morning with one of his songs playing in my head, “You Can’t Change That”! You just started singing it, didn’t you!!! LOL The words of that song played in my head, and to be honest I sang some of them! Thankfully, I was the only one home to hear that!!!
As I thought about the words of the song, I was reminded of a few things that I have been listening to and reading about the Lord.
- Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever. Jesus and His love for us is not fickle like we are, but has been, is and will be true and present.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Although we at times turn away from Him, He never will. I am just so amazed and love it when I am reminded that while I was sleeping and as soon as I open my eyes, the Lord is there with new mercies ready for the day ahead!
- Ephesians 3:17-18 – so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ. I truly do not believe that we will ever be able to fully understand how much God REALLY loves us! I tell my kids that even when they have done something contrary to how we raised them that I love them and that they will never understand how much I love them until they have kids of their own! Then I usually remind them that I don’t have any grandkids yet to help them understand this!!!
Some of the words to that Ray Parker Jr. song are:
- There’s nothing you can do or say
I thought about this for many a day
And my mind’s made up to feel this way
And you can’t change that
- You can change your telephone number
And you can change your address too
But you can’t stop me from loving you
No, you can’t change that, no, no
- You can change the color of your hair
And you can change the clothes you wear
But you’ll never change the way I care
No, you can’t change that
Now I have always heard that there will be no claw marks leading to the gates of Heaven … meaning God isn’t going to drag you … but, I believe he will pursue you and love you beyond anything we can measure! Quit running if you are and don’t worry that you have done too much to grieve Him.
God loves you … And You Can’t Change That!