It doesn’t take long before people recognize that I am totally ADD. I have four or five things going on in my mind at the same time and feel totally comfortable with it! Right in the middle of one statement, I will get sidetracked and jump onto another completely different thought. The crazy thing is that several minutes later I can jump back onto the original thought thinking that you will be able to complete the mental gymnastics to keep up with me! If around several conversations, I try to keep up with all of them at the same time. In my case, I may hear enough to think that I will be an absolute authority only to find out that I took things totally out of context. It is like driving on a four-lane highway without any rules. Collisions are for sure going to happen. Seems like I am the one who needs help!! 😊
Alright smarty pants! You may be Mr. or Mrs. or Miss Type A. You are very motivated and goal driven, and it is very difficult to get you off track. Quick question for you, what if you are on the wrong track or your goals are not God driven? If you are like my Pam, if it is on her checklist for the day, get out of the way! She will either get it done or go to bed discouraged. If you get in the way of the checklist, you may become a speed bump!
All of our mental tires need to be rotated and aligned periodically. The following are some verses that will help you sort things out and get you back aligned with the Lord’s will:
- Isaiah 26:3, You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
- Psalms 46:10, Be still, and know that I am God.
- Colossians 3:1-3, You have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. Is your mind set? If so, on what?
- Hebrews 12:1&2, Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. The Lord wants us to set our minds on Jesus and let Him be the author and finisher of our goals and the way we think.
- Romans 12:2, Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing, and perfect will. God is in the business of transforming our minds fundamentally and radically making us new people readjust how we think and what our goals should be.
Whether you are Type A or ADD, meditate on the above verses. Take your time. Don’t rush through them! Ask yourself several simple questions. Am I placing Christ first in my life? Am I trusting Him completely as I flesh out life? Is there anyone that I need to initiate the journey to get things right between us? Is there something that I’m not doing that I should be? No matter the behavioral style, God cans use you to love and minister to others showing the Lord’s mercy, grace, and power.