As of late, I find myself focusing my blogs on a couple of subjects. One of these is the idea of planning for the future but making sure we live in the moment, maxing out each 24 hours of our lives. The flip side of this is others who can’t get out of the past to live today. The challenge is for each of us to not discard and waste today. Many opportunities stare us right in the face yet untouched. The sacrificial love of Christ is fleshed out today not yesterday nor tomorrow. Paul the Apostle instructs us “Now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2).
We make the Great Commission a big campaign. We shout out, “Go into all the world” without recognizing that “go” is actually a present tense participle which is translated “going”. It means “as we are going,” impact the world with the 2nd mile love of Jesus. Whether you are at Costco, Walmart, a ball game, work, a restaurant, and most importantly at home, allow God to give you opportunities to be compassionate, kind, patient, gentle, good, peaceful, and loving and for opportunities to share the gospel. Ask God daily to make you aware of opportunities and that your eyes will be wide open.
Below, I am listing verses that will challenge each of us to understand the importance of T-O-D-A-Y fixing our eyes on Christ “the author and finisher of our faith”:
- 2 Corinthians 5:17, “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
- Matthew 6:34, “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
- Psalm 95:6-8, “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;for he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if only you would hear his voice,“Do not harden your hearts.”
- Psalm 118:24, “The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad”.
- Proverbs 22:19&21, “So that your trust may be in the Lord, I teach you today, even you…teaching you to be honest and to speak the truth so that you bring back truthful reports to those you serve.”
- Hebrews 3:13, “Encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.”
- James 4:13&14, “Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.”
God is clear about this. The verses above tell us that the old is passed away; to not worry about tomorrow; to listen for His voice today; His desire to do and teach us things today; to encourage one another today; and to not focus on tomorrow. The time for God’s favor is today. Fully live out today and experience the blessings of God while blessing many other. Our Lord is the God of TODAY.