(I made a decision to blog Rick Warren’s “Daily Hope Devotionals” published on April 4th. Some minor edits were done but nothing consequential. Prayerfully, I hope this devotional will encourage, challenge and maybe redirect your life.)
When everything around you is uncertain, the key to stability is to focus on unchangeable truth and on what never changes: God’s character and God’s Word. Here are eight unchangeable truths you need to tell yourself during this time of uncertainty:
- God sees everything you’re going through. “The eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love” (Psalm 33:18 NIV).
- God cares about everything you’re going through. “But I will watch for the LORD; I will wait confidently for God, who will save me. My God will hear me” (Micah 7:7 GNT).
- God has the power to change what you’re going through. “Ask, and you will be given what you ask for. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and the door will be opened” (Matthew 7:7 TLB).
- God always acts out of his goodness to you. “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28 NIV).
- God’s plan is always better than your plan. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the LORD. ‘They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope’” (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT).
- God will never stop loving you. “For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then, my faithful love for you will remain” (Isaiah 54:10 NLT).
- God is worthy of your trust. You cannot lose your salvation because of His Son’s willingness to go to the cross shedding His blood for us. “I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to safely guard all that I have given him until the day of his return” (2 Timothy 1:12 TLB).
- God is with you no matter what you go through. “When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up—the flames will not consume you” (Isaiah 43:2).
- Replace your panic with prayer
- Your worry with worship
- Your anxiety with adoration,
- Focus more on God’s unchanging truth and far less on what social media and national news shows are saying.
Please do not speed read through but focus on the 8 unchangeable truths about God’s character. Each begins with “God.” Visualize God seeing, God caring, God’s power to change things, God’s goodness, God’s wonderful plan, God’s ever-present love, God’s worthy of your trust and God’s with you no matter what you go through. And, I encourage you to memorize and to continue “chewing on” the Bible verses to give you certainty in these uncertain times hiding His word in your heart. Focus on what is unchanging in an ever-changing world…God’s character and God’s Word.