If we are candid, we spend a great deal of our lives “developing our brand.” In our society, it is a premium to be “successful” and “important.” We want others to look up to us and spend a lot of life trying to achieve this. We want to be interesting to others and hope others want to be around us. So much of life is spent on three things…me, myself and I.
It is good to be interesting to others. However, it is much more important to be interested in others. The Bible is clear about this.
- Philippians 2 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. God commands us to pay attention to the interests of others valuing them above ourselves.
- Matthew 7 “12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.” In other words, be interested in others and seek to understand them so that you will know what matters to them. Then, love them, care for them, help them in a way that is interesting to them. Love them the way you want to be loved.
- The Bible says to husbands in 1 Peter 3, 7 Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman. As difficult as this may be, God says that men should honor our wives by living with them in an understanding way. Your wife will notice when you do. Ask humble questions being interested in her. Make sure this effort is not in a self-serving way immediately expecting the same from her.
- The Bible says to wives in 1 Peter 3, 1 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Wives pay attention, live purely and respectful before your husband. They will be won by this servant attitude.
- Matthew declares that Jesus, “28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Be interested in others.