Whether it is watching, listening or reading the chaos of daily news or editorials, overhearing the gross vocabulary around you when you are at a ballgame, viewing the way people live no matter where you are, or observing the interaction between mom’s and dad’s and children in public places, when you touch the world, you probably find yourself disheartened, discouraged and despondent. I mean it can really drag you down…Impeachment! Whistleblowers! 100,000’s of people showing up in Hong Kong striking for personal freedom! Migration issues all over the globe! Etc.! All you hear is N-O-I-S-E.
The devil thrives in noise. Let’s not forget, Paul warned us in:
- Ephesians 2:2 to not “follow the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.” This verse is a relevant today as it was 2,000 years ago when it was written.
- 1 Peter 5:8 to “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” A “roaring lion” roars loudly to freeze and incapacitate his prey. Verse 9 states for us to “Resist him, standing firm in the faith.”
Three powerful verses instruct, warn and encourage us:
- 2 Corinthians 5:7, “For we live by faith, not by sight.” Filter everything through the eyes of Jesus.
- Colossians 2:15, “And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.” On the cross, Jesus triumphed over the devil and his dominion. Don’t listen to the noise!
- 1 John 3:8, “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.” We WIN!!
So, let’s be a bit philosophical about the world and what we experience in the world every day. 1 John 5:19 states, “We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.” Don’t act or be surprised as you engage the world. Their god is quite different than our God. So, learn to “live by faith, not by sight.”