Choose your friends carefully. Proverbs 12 26 The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
Eight characteristics of a good friend:
- A good friend has a pure heart and speaks with grace. Proverbs 22 11 One who loves a pure heart and who speaks with grace will have the king for a friend. The Bible says in Matthew 5 8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” You want to be around friends who have pure hearts. A graceful word is virtuous (morally pure), regenerates you when you are down and makes you a better person. A word of grace is like ointment placed on a wound.
- A good friend fears God and desires to carefully follow His word. Psalm 119 63 I am a friend to all who fear God, to all who follow His precepts.
- A good friend is reliable and can be trusted. He is close to you even when you make mistakes. Proverbs 18 24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- A good friend loves at all times. Proverbs 17 17 A friend loves at all times.
- A good friend has enough confidence within himself and your relationship that he rebukes you when you get off track. Proverbs 27 6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. Proverbs 25 12 Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold is a wise reprover to a listening ear.
I have always heard that you know a person by the character of their closest friends. Choose your friends carefully. They have a huge impact on your life.