We have been seeking the Lord and visiting churches in our area as we try to establish where the Lord would have us attend and serve. On one hand, we want to feel settled and a part of a local church body, but on the other hand, I really have enjoyed hearing the various perspectives from the pastors and speakers we have heard during this time. As of a few weeks ago I believe we have determined our new church home, but I wanted to share something I heard along this journey. Men’s ministries is very important to me. I want to be a part of … or help start … a men’s ministry where we can help build one another up. (As a side note, I attend a men’s group called Wingmen on Friday’s. This is a group started by Air Force pilot and Dallas Cowboy Chad Hennings. I highly recommend looking at Wingmen.org for more information.)
One of the messages I heard had to do with accountability and being a part of an accountability group or groups. The message defined accountability as, “to report, explain or justify yourself to another person.” Further, character was defined as “doing right” and integrity as “being whole”! The speaker then put it all together in the statement, “Pursuing character with integrity can only come with accountability.” Being one who does not like to share much and definitely has a natural resistance to anyone trying to hold me accountable, I initially questioned or repelled this notion. But, when we started to look at where accountability really comes from (The Word), I was quickly held accountable, adjusted my character and sought integrity!
- Proverbs 27:17 – As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 – 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: 10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up
- Numerous Proverbs: 9:8-9, 11:14, 12:1, 27:6
- Hebrews 3:13 – But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
- James 5:16 – Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Thank you , brothers, for making this a place where one can see character and integrity in each day’s post and where we all may be held accountable by The One to Whom all accountability is due! In a world where people don’t even want to recognize their physical gender, thank you, Jesus, for setting the standard by which all accountability is truly measured!