This week while exiting the court after a game Kevin Durant signed his shoes and gave them to a young boy who was moved to tears. Cameras caught him as he ran through the stadium holding up his treasure. He got up close and personal, he had a pair of signed Kevin Durant shoes directly handed to him! How cool is that? During the Christmas and Bowl Season many football teams volunteer and visit hospitals. It’s a joy for so many people be able to actually get close to and meet these gifted athletes who we all watch on TV and admire.
This made me realize how privileged we are in that we can actually know God! I believe I really take this for granted. Well in reality I am not even sure I can exactly fathom or apprehend this thought. The God of the universe who created all there is. Who was and is and is to come. Who was before time, the “I AM”. The alpha and omega. He has made himself available to me such that I can know him. Up close and personal. That is amazing!
God gave us the whole of scripture to know him. The chronicles of the Old Testament to show us who he is and how he has interacted with us in history and pointed humanity towards a messiah. And gave us the details of the New Testament, the life and times of Jesus, the Christ, our anointed savior.
Plus, should we miss all this, he straight out tells us we can know him through his Word. Here are some scriptures.
- This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 17:3
- The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. Psalm 19: 1-4
- For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made,so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
- Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near Isaiah 55:6
- I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father,may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17
Knowing God though his son Jesus who he sent to the earth as a human:
- The Word became flesh and dwelt among us John 1:14
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son John 3:16
- By this the love of God is revealed in us: that God has sent his one and only Son into the world so that we may live through him 1 John 4:9
Having the mind of Christ:
- But we have the mind of Christ 1 Corinthians 2:16
One with Christ and God:
- that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you, May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me John 17:21
In enjoying the Christmas Season let’s capture and appreciate the fact that we have the ability to actually know God. We can know Jesus, the human “God with us” who The Father has given us as our example and teacher. And God’s given us his written Word that we can interact with and study and meditate on to know him. We can have his mind, we can be one with him.
What a blessing and what a privilege. Thank you Father for allowing us to know you.