After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” (ESV)
Last week I mentioned starting over on my Bible location which led me to Genesis and finishing up on the flood. This morning as I was getting into Abraham, this passage in Genesis 22:1-2 struck me as somewhat comedic. I guess comedy might not be what I am thinking as much as ridiculous wording. Keep in mind, by the time we arrived at Genesis chapter 22 Abram (Now Abraham) has been through 7 to 8 Chapters of craziness. Allow me to expand on that a little:
“After these things God TESTED Abraham…”
Let’s just take a quick snapshot of “THESE THINGS”
- Abraham learns from his great great great grand daddy’s that life USED to be great until their GOD struck down mankind with a flood, then jumbled up all of their skin color and languages …
- Abraham takes Sarai as his wife and she is barren.
- God CALLS out to Abraham specifically to RUN AWAY FROM EVERYTHING YOU KNOW and start a new family in some foreign far away land.
- Endure a FAMINE in the land you travel through.
- Lie about your wife to the Egyptians and get cast out by the Pharaoh.
- Be forced to separate AGAIN from your family. (Lot leaves with 1/2 of everything)
- Make deals with the King of SODOM. (you may remember that town & it’s ethics.)
- Suffer a massive COMA, and receive a horrifying vision from God about your descendants becoming SLAVES. As the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell on Abram. And behold, dreadful and great darkness fell upon him.  Then the LORD said to Abram, “Know for certain that your offspring will be sojourners in a land that is not theirs and will be servants there, and they will be afflicted for four hundred years. (ESV)
- Deal with Sarah and Hagar.. (not much need to explain that one… Isaac and Ishmael)
- Attempt to plea with God for the City of Soddom… Then watch it be destroyed by fire and brimstone from heaven.
and finally… Hey man, take your SON and go KILL HIM for me… ?!?!?
Can we all agree that after these things should have pretty much handled the “God testing me stage”…
BUT GOD did not stop with those things for Abraham. Was he the luckiest man in the world? Seriously blessed beyond measure? Having a couple of rough years?
I have yet to find the passage that reads, “Abraham told God to back off and leave him alone.” or the scripture that reads, “I just can’t handle another day of this Lord!”
Look, I know it is not easy, I understand there are stumbling blocks and detours. If anyone needs a pity party it is me right? But let’s think about this guy together here… after the down and dirty, and nitty gritty, and ugly and messy and beaten down and hungry and scared and lonely and confused…. ABRAHAM kept listening and maintained his OBEDIENCE.
You and I do not get to pick how the test will come to us, but we do get to respond to the teacher. Be the student this morning. Get past whatever BS you told yourself and be the student. I am doing the same. Love to you all….
FATHER, please do not stop our tests and lessons. Please continue to give us YOUR WILL above all things and help us to hear and see your plan for us. PLEASE GOD help us heed your lessons and words and mold our lives into your KINGDOM. You are the One Lord. We are yours, have your way.